A Bit About Us
A Brief History
Evidence of early aboriginal occupation of Moolooloo can be seen in the ancient rock carvings found in the Oratunga Creek near 3rd Water and some more recent ochre paintings discovered by a bush walker on Moolooloo in 1994.
The European discovery of historic Moolooloo Station was made in the early 1850’s by John McKinley. In 1851 John McKinley and his brother Dr McKinley stocked Moolooloo (originally called Oratunga) and built a stone hut at Howannigan. (the first recorded spelling of Hannigan’s Gap). Remains of this hut can still be seen. In 1853 he sold the Oratunga run to James and John Chambers. Moolooloo, or Oratunga as it was still known, was a big run, ill-defined and extended far beyond its present boundaries.
In 1854 the Chambers Brothers engaged John McDouall Stuart to survey it. In 1857 Copper was discovered south of the present Moolooloo homestead and James Chambers and his partner William Finke established the Oratunga and then the Nuccaleena mines.
Towards the latter half of 1861, after assembling his plant of horses in the Moolooloo yards, John McDouall Stuart set out from Moolooloo on his final and successful crossing of the continent from South to North.
Changing Of The Guard
Moolooloo has had many owners between 1853 and the present day.
Worthy of mention are:
The Rounsevell family (1867-1878) made considerable improvements to Moolooloo. By 1878 the property had been completely fenced and subdivided. It is likely that the original homestead, woolshed and shearers quarters, were also built during this period.
By 1902 the large property had been reduced to its present size and was owned by the Lindo family.
The Sinclair family owned, managed and lived at Moolooloo from 1922 until 1962. They built the present homestead.
The Slade family arrived from England in the 1850’s. Sometime in the 1870’s some of the family moved to the north of South Australia. After helping his father manage donkey teams to cart provisions and wool to the station properties in the northern Flinders, Dudley Slade purchased Moorillah in 1946 and Moolooloo in 1962. From 1962 until 1971 Dudley and Mildred Slade lived at Moolooloo with their sons, Keith and Frank. The Slade’s are now the fourth generation to be living at Moolooloo.